Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Fall Of A Rising Star: We Deeply Miss You 'Hunter'

It's been a long day without you my friend and I will tell you all about it when I see you again. We have come a long way from where we began and I will tell you all about it when I see you again.

Not been myself since I heard of your demise yesterday evening. Hunter you were a classmate, brother, friend, and great company to many including myself.
I heard you slept and never got to wake up. I heard your body was discovered in your room as you looked just like a baby who was asleep. You were meant to be among the National youth service corps members who were meant to pass out this coming Thursday (02/07/15). You recently helped me monitor the processing of my e-transcript and you made sure you kept me updated after every step. The last SMS you sent me was on the 27th of May, 2015 and it read: "It hz been sent. Your tracking number is 7020593285. DHL sent on the 22nd".

Yes, I got it that same day you sent me the SMS. I later called you to thank you and I remember you sounded sad that a mutual friend of ours, Iroegbu had relocated from Calabar (where you were till your death) to Lagos (where I am). I think your words were: "Chai! So Iroegbu don leave us for here like that. I hear say im dey Lag now". I remember assuring you that he would definitely come around and you guys would still get to see. I thought I knew but I was dead wrong, you guys are never going to meet again at least not in this planet.

Gozie said he took you to the morgue. How strange that sounded to me as pictures of you full of life and smiling filled my head. He told me of how his bed sheet was used to cover you and how he wished you would just shake a little so that he would scream that you were in coma instead and not dead. He told me how he stood and watched as a space was created in the morgue and you were placed there. He told me how speechless he was when your younger sister who you were meant to pass out with this Thursday arrived. He told me of plans you had to celebrate your passing out parade and a lot more. He told me he will keep us updated as events unfold. I thanked him and dropped the call.

Brother, you have left a multitude of people behind to cry and mourn your death. Tears have intermittently trickled down my cheeks since yesterday but I have got the faith that you have joined our Lord Jesus Christ. It dawned on me just yesterday that I never saw you sad or at least I can't remember. I can also recall that you had no enemies. I don't know how you were able to pull that off but everyone was your friend and you were always making those around you smile and laugh.

I just feel terribly stupid for never telling you to your face how great you were. For not being as close as I could be. I remember we even had same project topic, 'Preserving The Nsukka Cultural Heritage'. I remember we came up with two separate softwares but defended together using just mine. The defence was far more successful than we ever expected. I can only imagine the pain your parents and siblings are going through right now. I wonder how terrible your close friends like Arinze 'Rinz', Iroegbu, Chuka and Gozie feel right now.

Raymond Obiora Okonkwo, God bless your soul. Gaa nke oma. I have the faith that you are at the feet of Jesus.

Here are the tributes some of your friends have been sending in on Facebook:

Odinaka Gauchy Ogubata wrote:
Shedding tears for my homie dear departed. Raymond Obiora Okonkwo is now on the other side...you crossed over too soon boy, way too soon..

Adanma Okolo wrote:
I hoped to wake this morning and discover it was a dream. I hoped it was just one of your pranks. You were too lively to be dead, too handsome, too jovial and playful to be wasted just like that. You had great dreams and would playfully mock me "Ada you're the only young girl that says she want to be a teacher". This has to be the greatest pain of the the year. My greatest fear is right before me yet again ... losing a dear one like you Raymond Obiora Okonkwo scares the living hell out of me. Amidst tears and a broken heart I type this, while I still hope that I can still wake up and discover that the whole of this is a dream. I still want to wake up! Yes, I wrote a tribute to you but it was all a dream, I want to wake up!

Kingsly Chuks wrote:
RIP Raymond Obiora Okonkwo
LIFE IS SHORT
WE SLEEP ONLY TO ASSUME IT'S OUR RIGHT TO WAKE UP.
YOUR POP
YOUR NYSC
THE FUTURE WE ALL COMMENCED TOGETHER
RIP TO A GREAT LION
RIP TO NAPSSITE
TILL WE SEE AGAIN

Daniel Obidoa wrote:
It's a lie ooooooo,...You were soo calm, gentle and humble..You had dreams why will death take u away..

Kosie Morgana Ikeme wrote:
And I'd ask; "Kee ka Tom na Stella mee"?....and he'll jovially reply; "ha no ya,Stone na ndi be ya kwanu"? To a great friend and brother who loved,made us laugh and never held back. Raymond Obiora Okonkwo still waiting to hear it's one of your many pranks.

Chiemele Chigozie Ijeoma wrote:
Raymond Obiora Okonkwo, U were to start the PG program immediately you are done withNYSC, Nmasi Chika Chiemelie has been waiting for your call to help you with the form and now you are no where. I pray you are in a better place. We will miss you dearly. Rest in Peace

Golden Collins Chigoo wrote:
No wonder you couldn't reply my pings two days ago,little did I know you were lying lifeless somewhere,just 3 days to your NYSC POP,Bro na your guy O.T,please wake up,Raymond Obiora Okonkwo wake up,Wake up.

Eziama Zizi Ubachukwu wrote:

Obi IK wrote:
Not Ray, God please not Raymond Okonkwo.

Maureen Chizzywrote:
Obi if this is a joke pweez jus stop it. We were suppose to mark our pop togeda,so plz dont go anywhere yet! U ar ma best couzin n I need yu here on earth. Jus wake up cos I want to believ its coma or u jus fainted. Nt givin up on u yet; lie-lie...waitin

Chidera Mosanya wrote:
'Guy, I don serve finish oo...' Our last conversation. It was on Friday... I didn't have the chance to respond, I can't even remember what kept me busy. This is not true! Bro, this was not what we agreed on. You were supposed to come to Abuja after you pass out on Thursday... What is happening???

Chisom Angel Obilor wrote:
Ray i can't believe everyone is writing ur tribute, wat u did for me i can never forget. Pls😭😭😭 prove death wrong. It's ur Awara Awara oooooh. Rip to
a good hearted man.

Ebuka Obi wrote:
Please? Is Raymond Okonkwo Dead?
A friend called me this evening
He said that you are dead!
I told him its a lie
But many have called still saying
Ray is dead!
Last week you accessed our website under construction
You called and told me you will use your personal money to hire someone that would revamp it
I thanked you, I sent you vital information about we-care charity foundation
I was still expecting the website you promised to fix, Now they say that you are dead!
How can you die?
A young man
A handsome young man
A man with a heart of Gold
So you mean that all our days in University of Nigeria Secondary School Nsukka is now a waste?
The UNN struggle too is now shambles?
NYSC too is now a carcass?
Please! Wake me up from this Dream
Obiora Raymond Okonkwo is not dead!

Vincent Obeta wrote:
I was not jst felling maslf dis evening, so i turned on my data jst to kip maslf busy wit my fone nd lighten up my mood, in a rush i opened my bbm, i saw an update "Rip ray" nd i was like hope is not my own ray, dia was dis goose bumps i av neva xperinced b4, i was engrosed wit intense fear nd shiver. I remembered our childhood memory back den @ block 1 umunkaka street unn, ow we played, fight, argue, exchange action movies, sega game cassete most especially tom nd jerry. I remember how you encouraged me to join the altar boys association st peters chaplaincy unn, yu sponsored me nd coached me for the interview, i came 2nd at d interview. Wen it was tym for common entrance, i always came to you for advice, yu taught me how to operate d computer, wen Afrihub came to unn newly, we normally go evry saturday before going to altar boys meeting to browse......if i continue writing i dnt tink i wuld eva stop. Am not very good at tributes but i had to write dis one.. Bro wea a real Gee. Am happy i meet som1 lyk yu. We love yu but only God knws why yu had to go dis way..Rip blood!

Augustine Ogwo wrote:
Do we take life too seriously or we take it for granted? God bless your soul Raymond Obiora Okonkwo

Jisieke Samuel wrote:
How can you explain to me how death took you? The very first template www.billionbill.com had, you designed it, i had to learn from you.
We spoke on tuesday that you will be coming to buy PG form in my school after your service, Raymond Obiora Okonkwo, how come you slept and didnt wake up.
What is this life that the good ones have to die?
I just wish i will wake up from this horrible dream and pray it will never happen.
Where ever you are, just know you've been a good man.

Kelechi Uju wrote:
What is this life that the good ones have to die?
Where ever you are, just know you've been a good man.

God please save us from untimely death

2 comments:

1. Sad! Sad!! Sad!!! May his soul rest in the bossom of the Lord. May God save and protect us all. AMEN!

ReplyDelete
  2. DJ Ray.. my hand can't even carry my phone any longer. It's so shocking to believe yet it's the truth. Gaa nke Oma my brother. Pepisco will always pray for your soul. Bye.

ReplyDelete

Feedbacks Are Welcome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...